Swallowing hand sanitizer to prevent coronavirus infection is a common thing nowadays in the U.S., and this is not a joke.
Trying to prevent the novel virus from getting into their system, some individuals in New Mexico and Arizona are ingesting alcohol-based hand sanitizers, ending with severe consequences.
Some damaged their vision, some have seizures, while four of them died.
Methanol poisoning is a lethal thing. Hand sanitizers contain ethanol or isopropanol, which works well when applied on hands.
When swallowed, it will make you ill worse than any coronavirus, and it will probably kill you.
All of these cases were reported by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). The intoxicated people ingested alcohol-based sanitizers in May and June.
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration), noted in June that some hand sanitizers contain in methanol.
A spokesman for CDC gave a statement, saying, “We wanted to specifically look at adverse events related to methanol because it is known to be toxic and potentially life-threatening when ingested.”
CDC researchers reported 62 methanol-poisoning cases between May and mid-June in Arizona and New Mexico.
Fifteen of them got poisoned due to the ingestion of a hand-sanitizer.
They were adults, between the ages of 21 and 65, according to the CDC report.